Jose Mourinho to be questioned at ex-Chelsea doctor Eva Carneiro’s tribunal

Posted by
Chelsea say that Eva Carneiro turned down an offer to settle her claims against the club and Jose Mourinho.
ESPN FC Chelsea correspondent Liam Twomey looks back at Chelsea’s poor, ‘disastrous’ season.

Eva Carneiro’s legal team plan to cross-examine Manchester United boss Jose Mourinho as part of the public employment tribunal against Chelsea and their former manager, her barrister confirmed as proceedings began on Monday.

The former Chelsea doctor is alleging constructive dismissal against the club and victimisation and discrimination against Mourinho, who branded her and head physio Jon Fearn “impulsive and naive” for entering the Stamford Bridge pitch to treat Eden Hazard in the closing stages of the Blues’ 2-2 draw with Swansea City in August.

Carneiro and Fearn were demoted from first-team duties in the wake of the incident, and Carneiro left Chelsea in September before initiating separate but connected legal proceedings against the club and Mourinho in November. Fearn remained at the club and returned to the Stamford Bridge bench for Chelsea’s 2-2 draw with West Ham in March.

Mourinho was cleared by the Football Association of making discriminatory comments towards Carneiro in September, two months before he was sacked by Chelsea for the second time in his career.

Private hearings between representatives of Carneiro, Chelsea and Mourinho took place in January and March at London South Employment Tribunal in Croydon but, with no settlement reached, the case has now gone to a full public employment tribunal at the same venue.

Carneiro’s barrister, Mary O’Rourke QC, told the tribunal that she plans to question Mourinho, Chelsea chairman Bruce Buck and Blues director Marina Granovskaia as part of her case. Chelsea’s head of communications and PR, Steve Atkins, was in attendance on Monday and is also set to be questioned on his statement.

Carneiro’s QC, Mary O’Rourke, confirms she plans to cross-examine Jose Mourinho, Bruce Buck and Marina Granovskaia during the tribunal #cfc

– Liam Twomey (@liam_twomey) June 6, 2016

O’Rourke also confirmed that Carneiro will not be seeking reinstatement to her former role at Stamford Bridge.

When asked if “re-engagement” was sought, O’Rourke said: “No.”

The tribunal is expected to take between seven and 10 days. Prior to the private hearing in March, Carneiro’s barrister O’Rourke — a United season ticket-holder — revealed that the former Chelsea doctor is seeking substantial damages, as well as a public apology from Mourinho, who replaced Louis van Gaal as manager at Old Trafford last month.

ESPN FC’s Chelsea correspondent Liam Twomey contributed to this report

Comments

Use a Facebook account to add a comment, subject to Facebook’s Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your Facebook name, photo & other personal information you make public on Facebook will appear with your comment, and may be used on ESPN’s media platforms. Learn more.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *